This week, the country celebrates Valentine’s Day. And while the go-to gratuity is usually flowers and chocolates, we’ve got some other ideas of what to gift your honey. And none will be bad for the waistline.
Give an experience
Flowers die, but an experience can last a lifetime. We know what you’re thinking … how is that possible? An experience ends when, well, the experience ends.
But that’s not actually the case. And in fact, research shows that experiences make us happier (for longer!) than material possessions.1
The reason: After the initial thrill of a new bauble or bling, you begin to take it for granted. But an experience, particularly one you share with others, can be “experienced” over and over again and never lose its novelty. You can talk about the camping trip or look at pictures of the night at the theater and experience the same delight you did when it happened the first time.
So give your beloved a night at the theater, a visit to an amusement park or an outing at the ballpark. And be sure to take plenty of pictures so you can experience the gift together again and again.
Give a day of service
What could be more fitting on a day of love than helping those less fortunate? Instead of spending money on each other, do a service project together. Not only will volunteering make you feel good emotionally, it can help you feel better physically as well. One study found that adults over the age of 50 who volunteer on a regular basis are less likely to develop high blood pressure than those who don’t volunteer. 2
Some ideas of things to do:
- Cook food and serve at a local homeless shelter. Check with local churches, temples or other community centers to see where you might be most needed.
- Do a charity walk together.
- Take old blankets and towels to a local animal shelter.
Give the gift of health
You want your significant other to be here for a long, long time. So use this holiday of love to vow to stay healthier, together, for the long term. Some ideas of things you can do this week and beyond:
- Send a gourmet fruit basket. Fill it with antioxidant-rich blueberries and strawberries, vitamin C-rich kiwis and oranges, and throw in some apples and bananas. Healthy and delicious, a fruit basket can brighten anyone’s day.
- Give a coupon good for a healthy cooking class. You can spend some fun time together and learn a new skill that will last you a lifetime. Then, vow from now on to eat home instead of out one more night per week than you currently do. Take the techniques you learn in class and enjoy cooking at home!
- Put together a workout playlist. Does your sweetheart like to walk while rocking out to oldies? 70s? Classic rock? Whatever his or her music preferences, your valentine is sure to enjoy a a great mix of tunes while exercising. This is one thoughtful gift that is sure to please.
One final way to show your love? Make sure your significant other is eating a healthy diet. To fill any nutrient gaps, keep a high-quality multivitamin in the house like ENDUR-VM® Multi-Vitamin & Mineral.
ENDUR-VM® is a dietary supplement formulated is a dietary supplement formulated with our proprietary wax matrix sustained-released technology for adults who want an innovative solution to fill nutrient gaps that can occur between what a typical diet provides and what the body needs for optimal health.
ENDUR-VM® provides over 20 essential vitamins and minerals, including protective antioxidants, B vitamins, vitamin D3, and trace minerals. It features a vegetable-based wax matrix – found only in products by Endurance – that gradually releases nutrients over a 4-6 hour period for high absorption and tissue retention.*
Plus, ENDUR-VM® is available with and without iron to meet the needs of women of childbearing age (with iron) as well as men and postmenopausal women (without iron). Think of it as a simple daily habit that can yield serious health benefits.*
ENDUR-VM® is free of salt, sugar, preservatives, artificial color or flavorings, and common allergens (milk, egg, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat and soy).
About Endurance Products Company
Endurance Products Company has been a trusted source of quality dietary supplements since 1978. Our sustained-release and extended-release tablets feature a unique vegetable wax matrix that releases nutrients in a slow, steady manner over a period of hours for optimal nutrient absorption and retention.
1. Gilovich T, Kumar A, Jampol L. A wonderful life: experiential consumption and the pursuit of happiness. J Consum Psychol. 2015;25(1): 152-165.
2. Sneed RS, Cohen S. A prospective study of volunteerism and hypertension risk in older adults. Psychol Aging. 2013;28(2):578-86. PMID: 23795768.